Special Olympics Rhode Island has been strongly advised by Special Olympics, Inc., to cancel all events scheduled through May 31, 2020.
NEW 4/3: Email message sent to Athletes, Families, Head Coaches and Volunteers
In this unprecedented time of uncertainty, I want to take this opportunity to thank everyone for understanding the difficult decisions that Special Olympics Rhode Island has had to make based on the guidance of Special Olympics, Inc., the CDC, the State of Rhode Island and the Rhode Island Department of Health. Having to cancel so many of our fundraising events, sports competitions/tournament, planning meetings and all the local team practices that take place for these events is truly a disappointment for everyone involved with SORI. The health and well-being of our Special Olympics RI community will always be our top priority as we navigate through this unchartered territory.
Under continued advisement, the Special Olympics RI office will be closed until April 30, 2020 and our staff will continue to work remotely. At that time, we will once again seek the guidance of Special Olympics, Inc., the CDC, the State of Rhode Island and the Rhode Island Department of Health, who continue to provide us with continued updates to make the necessary decisions to ensure your health and safety.
In the meantime, should you have any questions or concerns, please contact me at (401) 323-9277 or via email email@example.com; Gerri Walter at (401) 527-1086 or vial email at firstname.lastname@example.org or Chris Hopkins at (401) 829-7938 or via email at email@example.com
With the difficult decision to cancel events behind us, we are now turning our focus on providing opportunities for everyone to stay connected:
- “Fitness with Steph” (Stephanie Beaudette, SORI Healthy Athletes Coordinator) offers FIT 5 fitness videos on Facebook Live via the Special Olympics Rhode Island Facebook Page on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays at 6pm.
- Athlete Support Calls are held on Tuesdays at 7pm for athletes to call-in with any questions or concerns that they have regarding COVID-19 or Special Olympics Rhode Island. Calls are monitor by SORI Staff.
- Family Support Calls are held on Thursdays at 7pm for family member or caregivers to call-in with any questions that they may have regarding COVID-19, Special Olympics Rhode Island or how they can access information for services for their athlete.
- Our staff will continue to work on creative ways to keep our entire community engaged during these difficult times.
- Most importantly, please continue to follow the guidelines set by the Rhode Island Department of Health and continue to practice social distancing.
- Stay well and stay in touch, we are here for you.
CEO, Special Olympics Rhode Island
“YOU ARE NOT ALONE!”
Special Olympics has prepared a list of frequently asked questions that you can reference on the topic of virus prevention and control.
Rhode Island Department of Health COVID-19 Info Line (401) 222-8022 from 8:30am – 4:30pm. After Business Hours Dial 211 or email RIDOH.COVID19Questions@health.ri.gov