Happy January and happy 2019 to everyone! I hope your holidays were filled with joy and happiness! As we turn the page and move into a new year,
this is the time where many people set resolutions for themselves. A resolution is a way to better yourself as a person, whether it is in the way you act,
your health, anything. If your resolution is to take steps to improve your health this year, I have a resource for you that may help: FIT 5.
FIT 5 is a plan for physical activity, nutrition, and hydration to help improve your health and fitness and ultimately help make you the best athlete
you can be! FIT 5 encourages us to:
- Exercise 5 days a week
- Eat 5 total fruits and vegetables per day
- Drink 5 water bottles per day
Let’s take a look at each piece of the FIT 5 plan. First is exercise. You can become a better athlete if you exercise on days that you do not
have your sports practice for Special Olympics. Your FIT 5 goal is to exercise 5 days a week. There are so many ways to be active and exercise!
Exercise builds endurance, strength, flexibility, and balance.
- Endurance helps you to run further and play longer, while taking fewer breaks.
Examples: running, cycling, walking the dog, dancing
- Strength helps you to throw farther, run faster, and jump higher!
Examples: lifting weights, using medicine balls and resistance bands
- Flexibility prevents injuries to your muscles and joints by helping your body move easier in different directions.
Examples: Stretching before and after activity, yoga
- Balance helps you avoid falling by giving you more control over your body.
Examples: Yoga, practicing balance at home
The second part of FIT 5 is nutrition. Eating right is important to both your health and your sports performance. There are so many healthy
and delicious foods to choose from! Your FIT 5 goal is to eat at least 5 total fruits and vegetables per day! It is fun and easy to
add more fruits and veggies to our meals.
- Breakfast: Add fruit such as berries or bananas to your cold cereal or hot oatmeal, put veggies such as spinach,
tomatoes, onions, and peppers in your omelet.
- Lunch: Load your sandwich with veggies, replace potato chips with apple slices or carrot sticks, eat a colorful salad.
- Dinner: Add veggies to your bowl/plate of pasta, make a stir fry with your favorite meat, rice, and veggies
- Snacks: some examples of healthy snacks would be apple slices with peanut butter, carrots or peppers with hummus,
low-fat unsweetened yogurt topped with berries, celery with peanut butter and raisins
- Fruit is always a great healthy choice for dessert!
Last but certainly not least, the third piece of FIT 5 is hydration. Staying hydrated and drinking enough water is important for your health and
can help your athletic performance. Your FIT 5 goal is to drink 5 bottles of water every day! Water is the healthiest drink choice and will work
the best to keep you hydrated. When you don’t drink enough water, your body does not work as well and you will not be able to perform at your best.
So keep drinking throughout the day, even if you aren’t thirsty! Always carry a water bottle with you and help the environment by using a refillable bottle!
By using FIT 5 as a guide, you will be well on your way to living healthier and performing better in your sport! Remember that resolutions
only stick if you are committed to wanting to be better. Your health is so important, so this year make it a priority in your life! For more information regarding the FIT 5 plan please email me at Stephanie@specialolympicsri.org or call (401) 349-4900., ext. 310.
See you out on the playing field this spring!