When the sun is shining and the weather is warm, many of us are excited to spend time outside. But in the heat of the summer, even simple activities can become difficult. It is easy to get very sick if we are not careful in hot weather. Here are some tips to help you beat the heat and stay safe this summer:
- Do not exercise in the heat of the day. The sun shines its strongest and hottest during the middle of the day so if you want to get a workout in go early in the morning or late in the afternoon. Don’t forget your sunscreen!
- Wear lightweight, light colored clothing. Airy clothes that have sweat-wicking material will be best.
- Tone down your workout. Heat takes more energy from us because our bodies have to work extra hard to keep cool. Go a little shorter and slower than you normally would so you don’t overextend yourself.
- Hydrate! It is important to drink plenty of water all the time, but especially in the heat when we are losing more water than normal. Always have a bottle with you.
- Listen to your body. If you are feeling dizzy, lightheaded, weak or out of breath go immediately to the shade or indoors to rest and drink some water!
- Go to the beach! A morning or evening walk on the beach is a perfect summer activity. It tends to be a bit cooler along the coast and the water is there to cool you off too!
- Indoors is okay, too. The gym is still open in the summer, and many are air-conditioned.
- Watch the weather! If the forecast calls for high heat and humidity, or there is an issued heat warning, then it is best to avoid the outdoors especially during the middle of the day. Try to find an alternate activity indoors or take a relaxation day J
Summer is a great time to get outside and exercise, as long as we are smart and listen to our bodies! Now, get out there and beat the heat!